Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Matrix Resurrection


Mr Anderson!

So, quick recap. 
Mr Smith isn't Mr Smith and Morpheus isn't really Morpheus.

I was lost.
Matrix Resurrection has me caught in a very tight spot. On one hand, for a generation that saw Neo rise and do the bullet dive move, I had the nostalgia and it felt good, honestly.

But I also feel three is such a wonderful number. It gave them an ending. Whether that ending was worth it is discussion for another day.

But anyhoo, we have a part four titled Resurrections and it saw a lot of, well, resurrections.

Movie Recap
Picking up 60 years after Matrix 3 and the "death" of Neo and Trinity, we see the same thing happening again. The Matrix and the real world in existence with few being ignorant about existence of the free world. Though this time, there's a synergy between some machines and humans and we see the former city of Zion prospering in tranquility and technology.

I don't know how far to go with this recap. Apologies for the spoilers.

Neo and Trinity are both in the Matrix, one as a mum and the other as a gamer who develops a game, the Matrix. 
Irony, huh?

A rebel team believes in him and goes out of their way and break protocols to save them. And when he's free he goes out of his way to get Trinity out.

Of course he wants Trinity.

They go through problems, encounter difficulties and finally have to place it in Trinity's hand. It's a choice afterall and she must decide: Red pill or Blue pill.

That pretty much covers it.
Oh, and Trinity is like, the two. Get? Neo is the one and Trinity is…never mind.

Where to begin?
Let's see. Did I want a Matrix 4? Honestly, no. I didn't. Classics are classics for a reason. Don't soil it by reinventing it to fit into the recent generation.

Imagine a remake of Back to the Future. That movie has cult following because of the level of imagination and tech that went into it in the late 80s. Remaking it sort of belittles what was done. 

At least for me.

So, I honestly didn't want a 4. Was I impressed? Well, hmm. I'm torn.

My Likes
When your therapist is Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) you should know things won't go well for you. There's just no how it'll go well. I admit, I didn't expect him. 

I laughed out loud when I saw him seated there with a note pad listening to Keanu talk. Like really? No way dude. 
Run, Neo.

Trinity was a sight to beyold. Like, wow. Did she go into a hibernation chamber? She looked good. I missed her badass side and though it came towards the end, she gave me that vibe. 

Morpheus.
Lawrence Fishborne (Old Morpheus) made having a mentor look so cool. He was that guy that never gave up on Neo and always believed he was the one. Yahaya, was comical to say the least. The over play on being Morpheus rather than being Morpheus threw me off.

I preferred when he was in his element being him. But again, it must be difficult filling such shoes. 

Sorry, Yahaya.

Keanu can do no wrong. At least in my eyes. The puppy doll feeling and refusing to believe he was trapped in a Matrix was just cute. Awww

Neo doesn't want to be Neo any more.

But that didn't last for long, as you'll see. He gave in and took the self actualisation pill and then almost ruined their hardwork.

The new Smith has serious potential for a handsome bad guy. He talks a lot, like Hugo, though he's missing that meanness that comes with saying Mr Anderson. 
He did okay.

The badass captain didn't do bad either. She's funky and cool and determined. 

Interesting look out
Jada seems to be doing so much on such low tone. No one ever sees her coming and then out of no where, bam! You get hit in the face.

General, huh?
Nice, Jada.

Just when you think looking pretty and being mean is all she's washed up to be, she shocks us even more. 
Washed up.
Baywatch. 
Get the reference?

If you don't, sorry dude.

I'm talking about Priyanka Chopra. What an addition and keeping to mind the original character's origin.

Noticeable Absence
Morpheus and Smith were two giys that cranked up the essence of Matrix. No offence to Neo. At first, I kept wondering why they didn't feature them, but guys, it's 60 years later. 

Unless Morpheus shape shifts, there's no way he's looking cool. Oh, I totally forget we have awesome CGI. Well, I'm cool with both not being there as I still got to see them in flashes and memory.
True legends.

There's a part that I felt made reference to John Wick. Maybe it's just me, anyway, but when they got trapped in the train, one bot tried to kill him with a pencil.😂🤣

I was like, you're seriously going to try to kill him with a fucking pencil.

Please tell me you got that.

Is it a good watch? Yes.
Is it a good watch worthy of the Matrix? Sadly, no. 

I still don't see the need, really, but it felt a look like a reunion for Neo and Trinity.

In the end, love conquers all. Even programming.

Rating: 5/10.

Image: Google

Do you think a part 4 was necessary? 


Comments

  1. Just as with Coming 2 America. Some stories are best left as they were. Matrix 4 ruined the Matrix for me. At first I was eager to see it, I mean, this was one of the movies that made my childhood interesting. But after seeing it, I so wasn't impressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt exactly like you did. I was eager at first and thirty minutes into the movie and I'm asking them why they bothered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Death On The Nile

What a movie! I'm a stickler for investigative crime movies: Knives Out, Sherlock Holmes, Upper Room Fixer series, Enola Homes, etc. Trying to solve the crime with the detective as his mind wanders through a  plethora of unusual suspects is just amazing to me and so you can understand why Death On The Nile was so intriguing. Movie Plot Detective Hercule Poirot (This surname needs some work) is back with murder within a murder within a murder within two more murders. While on a visit to Egypt, Poirot uncovers his greatest murder ever as a newlywed couple battles the envious eyes of friends and foe. Okay, so that happened. The movie uses an hour to drive us through what Poirot already tagged as acts 1, 2 and 3. We get to see Linnet shine and fall in love with her friend's man. Linnet First off, this was really low for Linnet. Come on already. Men are surplus and in quanta. She could have been with the doctor or found another one, but she opted for her friend's man.  Why woul

Movie Review: The Adam Project

"Oh, that's funny. It farts when I laugh." I just can't.😂🤣🤣 Halo. Another movie review here. We'll be looking at The Adam Project. Movie Review A pilot goes back in time to search for his missing wife in so doing enlists the help of his younger self and his late father. From the first time I saw the trailer I knew I would laugh my ass out. Ryan Reynolds has decided to just feature in any movie he absolutely feels like. Storyline Let's start with the not-so spectacular part of this movie. The storyline wasn't excitingly crazy. It was there. Just there. Time travel with a blend of romance missions, messing with the timeline, embracing loss, and a happy beginning at the end. That pretty much sums it up. The good part is that it was grand. The action, the shooting, the comedy. Acts Ryan Reynolds was Ryan Reynolds and there's no changing him. The way he talks and laughs and just includes those ridiculous lines always has me in a g

Movie Review: Encanto

"Maybe your gift is being in denial." Ouch! That stung. Have you seen Encanto ? If yes, ride along and let's go through fun scenes. If you haven't, book a seat, enjoy the ride. Have you accidentally called it Enchanto instead of Encanto? No need to fret, I also had the same issue the first time I sww the trialer. Movie recap A family is blessed with supernatural powers with each child exhibiting a different power from the other. The magic surrounding the family falls into chaos and it's up to one member of the family to save them all. Madrigal! I've been humming her song for a while now. The tune and beat just stay with you. Plot Massive spoilers ahead. In the Madrigal family we have Abuela, and her three kids—Pepa, Julietta and Bruno and then we have her grandkids—Mirabel, Dolores, Isabella, Louisa, Camilo and Antonio. Pepa, Julietta and Bruno are blessed with weather influence, healing and vision respectively. Their kids Louisa, Isabella, Camilo,