Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Matrix Resurrection


Mr Anderson!

So, quick recap. 
Mr Smith isn't Mr Smith and Morpheus isn't really Morpheus.

I was lost.
Matrix Resurrection has me caught in a very tight spot. On one hand, for a generation that saw Neo rise and do the bullet dive move, I had the nostalgia and it felt good, honestly.

But I also feel three is such a wonderful number. It gave them an ending. Whether that ending was worth it is discussion for another day.

But anyhoo, we have a part four titled Resurrections and it saw a lot of, well, resurrections.

Movie Recap
Picking up 60 years after Matrix 3 and the "death" of Neo and Trinity, we see the same thing happening again. The Matrix and the real world in existence with few being ignorant about existence of the free world. Though this time, there's a synergy between some machines and humans and we see the former city of Zion prospering in tranquility and technology.

I don't know how far to go with this recap. Apologies for the spoilers.

Neo and Trinity are both in the Matrix, one as a mum and the other as a gamer who develops a game, the Matrix. 
Irony, huh?

A rebel team believes in him and goes out of their way and break protocols to save them. And when he's free he goes out of his way to get Trinity out.

Of course he wants Trinity.

They go through problems, encounter difficulties and finally have to place it in Trinity's hand. It's a choice afterall and she must decide: Red pill or Blue pill.

That pretty much covers it.
Oh, and Trinity is like, the two. Get? Neo is the one and Trinity is…never mind.

Where to begin?
Let's see. Did I want a Matrix 4? Honestly, no. I didn't. Classics are classics for a reason. Don't soil it by reinventing it to fit into the recent generation.

Imagine a remake of Back to the Future. That movie has cult following because of the level of imagination and tech that went into it in the late 80s. Remaking it sort of belittles what was done. 

At least for me.

So, I honestly didn't want a 4. Was I impressed? Well, hmm. I'm torn.

My Likes
When your therapist is Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) you should know things won't go well for you. There's just no how it'll go well. I admit, I didn't expect him. 

I laughed out loud when I saw him seated there with a note pad listening to Keanu talk. Like really? No way dude. 
Run, Neo.

Trinity was a sight to beyold. Like, wow. Did she go into a hibernation chamber? She looked good. I missed her badass side and though it came towards the end, she gave me that vibe. 

Morpheus.
Lawrence Fishborne (Old Morpheus) made having a mentor look so cool. He was that guy that never gave up on Neo and always believed he was the one. Yahaya, was comical to say the least. The over play on being Morpheus rather than being Morpheus threw me off.

I preferred when he was in his element being him. But again, it must be difficult filling such shoes. 

Sorry, Yahaya.

Keanu can do no wrong. At least in my eyes. The puppy doll feeling and refusing to believe he was trapped in a Matrix was just cute. Awww

Neo doesn't want to be Neo any more.

But that didn't last for long, as you'll see. He gave in and took the self actualisation pill and then almost ruined their hardwork.

The new Smith has serious potential for a handsome bad guy. He talks a lot, like Hugo, though he's missing that meanness that comes with saying Mr Anderson. 
He did okay.

The badass captain didn't do bad either. She's funky and cool and determined. 

Interesting look out
Jada seems to be doing so much on such low tone. No one ever sees her coming and then out of no where, bam! You get hit in the face.

General, huh?
Nice, Jada.

Just when you think looking pretty and being mean is all she's washed up to be, she shocks us even more. 
Washed up.
Baywatch. 
Get the reference?

If you don't, sorry dude.

I'm talking about Priyanka Chopra. What an addition and keeping to mind the original character's origin.

Noticeable Absence
Morpheus and Smith were two giys that cranked up the essence of Matrix. No offence to Neo. At first, I kept wondering why they didn't feature them, but guys, it's 60 years later. 

Unless Morpheus shape shifts, there's no way he's looking cool. Oh, I totally forget we have awesome CGI. Well, I'm cool with both not being there as I still got to see them in flashes and memory.
True legends.

There's a part that I felt made reference to John Wick. Maybe it's just me, anyway, but when they got trapped in the train, one bot tried to kill him with a pencil.😂🤣

I was like, you're seriously going to try to kill him with a fucking pencil.

Please tell me you got that.

Is it a good watch? Yes.
Is it a good watch worthy of the Matrix? Sadly, no. 

I still don't see the need, really, but it felt a look like a reunion for Neo and Trinity.

In the end, love conquers all. Even programming.

Rating: 5/10.

Image: Google

Do you think a part 4 was necessary? 


Comments

  1. Just as with Coming 2 America. Some stories are best left as they were. Matrix 4 ruined the Matrix for me. At first I was eager to see it, I mean, this was one of the movies that made my childhood interesting. But after seeing it, I so wasn't impressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt exactly like you did. I was eager at first and thirty minutes into the movie and I'm asking them why they bothered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SPIES IN DISGUISE

Unbird me now! The Spies in Disguise- which is also Will Smith's second animation is a brilliant piece of work. Cast Will Smith (Lance Sterling), Tom Holland (Walter Beckett), Rashida Jones (Marcy Kappel), Ben Mendelsohn (Robotic arm Villain), DJ Khalid (Ears), Reba Mac in tire (Joy Jerkins).       The story centers around a genius kid- Walter who has no social life but a talent for  inventing non-dangerous spy equipment. He feels there is a less violent way to save the World and seeks the help of the world's best Spy- Lance Sterling (Will Smith) in order to achieve this. But we must keep in mind that all change is hard at the beginning, messy at the middle and eventually beautiful at the end.       Okay, enough plot for now. Down to analysis. The flow between the two actors, Will Smith and Tom Holland was apt. Despite not seeing each other over the course of the 2 years which the film was being produced. The voicing from the ac...

Movie Review; Fantasy Island

Cast Michael Pena ( Mr Roarke) Maggie Q  ( Gwen Olsen) Lucy Hale ( Melanie Cole)Austin Stowell ( Patrick Sullivan) Parrisa Fitz-Henley (Julia Roarke) Portia Doubleday (Sloane Maddison)        "If  wishes were horses, beggars would ride" Right? Our fantasies are called so because it's what we would love to have but don't. And with every false reality there are loopholes. SPOILERS     Fantasy Island is a horror thriller. 5 strangers win an all expenses paid trip to a fantasy island which is owned by a business mogul. An Island that is said to grant you your deepest desires. Each guest filled out surveys about their dream fantasy and on arrival to the island, they get what they hoped for.      The fantasy starts out well with each one getting exactly what they hoped for; a redo. But everything in the island has a price. Every fantasy must be led to its final end.      The guests begin ...

TELENOVELAS IN RETROSPECT

Despite our various tribes and culture, there will always be something that links each and everyone of us together. Be it The UEFA Champions League, NBA's, Grammy's, Oscars. In that moment, we are not people of different cultures or tribes, we are one in thoughts. Before Zeeworld became a thing, Mexican telenovelas were already a hit. AIT and Galaxy made it their purpose to unite Nigerians with their novelas. So today, as a form of throwback, we take a look at some of those series that glued people to their seats. Those series that made people dismiss from fellowships early, and led to  neighbors being closer.  11. The Woman Of My Life (1998) La Mujer de mi Vida     A woman is blamed for the death of her husband after the murder weapon was found in her hands (okay, no offence, but if you find your partner dead, kindly weep from afar, don't go touching him or the murder weapon). She definitely goes through the impossible to prove her innocence. There's als...