Skip to main content

Movie Review: All of Us Are Dead

Phew!

I don't know where to begin. I really don't.

What a rollercoaster.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Korean movies. What I mean is that I don't go online specifically looking for anything Korean to watch, but you see this one? I had to.

Hmmm.

It happened to me the way Squid game happened to me and I must commend the directors and all the cast.

Those kids were amazing.

Enough gist.

Lets dive right into the matter.

Movie Plot

While trying to make his son courageous against bullies, a science teacher accidentally creates the Jonas Virus. A zombie virus that kills the host and takes over the human senses (regular zombie stuff). The virus starts with his son and wife, which he's able to contain, but when a student gets bitten by an infected rat, pandemonium breaks out in school as students of Hyosan turn on each other.

Massive spoilers ahead. And I mean massive ones!

I took out time this weekend to watch this because I love horror with all my heart. Plus, if you've seen Train to Busan then you know these Koreans know their stuff when it comes to horror movies.

The entire 12 episodes were so intense the only time I breathed well was at night when the kids were asleep.

For the purpose of this review, I'll be summarizing highlights and lowlights and lessons learnt.

Stay tuned

Bullying

Despite the zombie nature of this movie, the main lesson wasn't lost on me. Bullying drove the science teacher to make his son strong. Bullying almost made Eun-ji commit suiced. Bullying was the main villian not the virus.

It's disheartening to see schools and school administrators pretend and cover up violent acts of bullying because they obviously don't care.

How can you ask a victim what he did wrong? I was so happy when that useless teacher was literally gutted by Eun-ji (suicide girl). What nonsene.

I'll come back to bullying, let's just continue.

Love

Nothing annoys me more than liking someone and not saying anything. Oh, it pains me in the gut and I feel like hitting people who act this way.

Jeez, what's the worst that can happen? He or she will say no and you move on.

Granted, moving on isn't always easy, but it's better than mooning whenever you see the person.


Cheong-san had had feelings for On-jo since he was six. Six, people! On-jo had feelings for Su. Su believed On-jo and Cheong are going out, so does the entire school, and is heavily in love with Nam-ra (class president) to the extent he was willing to become a half-bie (half human half zombie)

My gosh!

What sort of complication is this? A serious square that had me vexed until Su and Nam-ra finally broke the borders.

Please, please, tell that person you love him or her. Don't let things stay unsaid. You sincerely never know what will go wrong.

Parents Love

The love a parent feels for their children is so strong it shakes the earth. Cheong's mum, despite not having clarity on what the issue was, went out of her way to get her son. She injured her leg and walked for hours, only to get bitten by Gyeonk (her son's best friend). It hurt so much to see here there. 

But she wouldn't have stayed at her shop. That moment where Cheong saw her tore me. I found a streak of tear running down my eyes. Yes, they know their parents might already be dead, but seeing them as zombies was worse.

What about On-jo's father? The man risked treachery, got shot, couldn't assist a couple and gave away the gun he would have used to fight, all for his daughter. The fact he insisted that his daughter was waiting and truly the daughter was waiting  was just so sad. That reunion, though short lived, will forever remain in On-jo's heart. She'll know that he came for her. He came just as she had predicted.

Ingenious Thinking

Hats off to On-jo, Nam-ra, Cheong-san, Joon and Su for idea bringing. Especially On-jo.

Following the conversation at the breakfast table with her dad, it was clear On-jo was always coming in last and the dad had lost hope in her passing.

But how many ideas did On-jo bring up for them to stay alive?

How many times did she think outside the box using things around them?

How many times did she make suggestions that made it work?

Joon (smart kid) was one of my favorites. He's really handsome and so cute. I cried when he turned. He wasn't supposed to go like that. He had held on for too long to die when salvation was already close.

On-jo showed that it's not always about the paper grades. Smartness and intelligence aren't the same and she demonstrated that she was fit to lead any group any time. Even Nam-ra told her she should have been the class president. Her blend of smartness with compassion made her my all time favorite.

Rank in Disaster

It's only a crazy person that'll pull class rank or social rank during an outbreak. Pink sweater girl, Nu whatever, annoyed me so much I felt like strangling her from my end. Gosh!

She killed Gyoek. Just like that. How did she even have the heart to do so? But I was also pissed with the class president. Why didn't she speak out? She noticed her and kept quiet.

Knowing me, I would yell at her and not allow her to get close to the guy.

The toilet set that survived had me switching from don't die to die. That girl was on my nerves and she was the reason the smart guy died. 

Seriously!

You're thinking about seniority in a time like that?

How?

Who freaking care who's a senior? Does it matter? Does being a senior save any of the others from dying? Did being a junior present any challenges for the survivors?

It didn't.

Bonding

If there's one thing the students had to do, it was bond. Whether they wanted to or not, they just had to. The roof top bon fire scene where Cheong finally said his truth was so memorable. It was a raw scene and I liked it.

People who annoyed me

  1. Pink sweater girl

You killed someone because others preferred him to you.

Why won't they?

When all you do is bitch and yell like an entitled brat.

I was just indiffernt to her death.

  1. Roof top guy

I know Gwi-nam was the bully but you see that guy that refused to open the doors, it'll never be well with him

Ever!

He's the main villain. What differentiates him from the others? I like how he got what was coming for him. Happy it wasn't another person that Eun-ji ate.

  1. Mrs Parker

I get that she wanted to be a noble teacher, but what she did was fools hardy. You went out to save a murderer and ended up being murder by the guy she murdered. 

Talk about freaky.

Guy!!!

Did she feel like the kids were too harsh? Was that it? She killed herself. She just let stupid nobility get the better part of her.

  1. Girl who saw both parents a zombie

You don't fall when on the run for your life. But then slips do occur. When the girl ignored her partner who fell, I just lost it. 

First, I was mad at the one that fell. If she had taken Deo-Su as a partner instead, it wouldn't have been that way. She's lucky she made it out alive. I actually thought she would go first. And the one who didn't save her, still turned. 

  1. Gwi-nam

This list could not be complete without that good for nothing, slime ball, one eye walking, son of a devil bully who killed my Cheong. I was so sad. Why did they have to give him immunity? Why him? Why not Cheong? I was so mad watching him. I know I'll hate that guy wherever I see him even if he's good.

I don't want to talk about him again.

Comic Scene

The police officer and his junior have got to be the funniest pair in the movies. 

When the junior took off I was like, "He's so gone."

But seeing him on the bus was impressive. 

And how about the YouTuber? This one should go and thank his stars that he got somewhere high and his luck was high. 

He would have been a zombie meal.

Boys Bromance
The relationship between Dae-su (big guy) Win-ju (archer sister) and Joon (smart guy) was so fun to watch. The way they teased each other and laughed. It's so sad only one of them made it out alive.

Painful deaths

From episode 1 to 12, these were people whose deaths stung

  1. Gyeonk (Pink sweater killed him)

  2. Joon (smart guy)

  3. Cheong's mum

  4. On-jo's dad

  5. Cheong-san

  6. Wun-ji (archer's brother)

Watching Cheong-san use his final breath to save his friends by causing a distraction tore me into two. I started crying when he was bitten. I cried until the explosion and still cried when the name tag showed up. He was a hero. He tried. He fought for his friends. He tried his best and will forever remain in our hearts, that is, if he's truly dead.

I don't want this to be too long.

That movie packed a bunch of lessons.

  1. If you love somehow, for the love of God please tell them already. Get over it.

  2. Parents who care go out of their care to protect their child even when it'll cost them their lives.

  3. Bullying doesn't give you an excuse to be a shithead to others.

  4. Bullying is bad. It strips one of their essence and drives the person to a point of no return. If you're a bully, cut it out.

Rating: 9/10

What do you think about this movie? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Death On The Nile

What a movie! I'm a stickler for investigative crime movies: Knives Out, Sherlock Holmes, Upper Room Fixer series, Enola Homes, etc. Trying to solve the crime with the detective as his mind wanders through a  plethora of unusual suspects is just amazing to me and so you can understand why Death On The Nile was so intriguing. Movie Plot Detective Hercule Poirot (This surname needs some work) is back with murder within a murder within a murder within two more murders. While on a visit to Egypt, Poirot uncovers his greatest murder ever as a newlywed couple battles the envious eyes of friends and foe. Okay, so that happened. The movie uses an hour to drive us through what Poirot already tagged as acts 1, 2 and 3. We get to see Linnet shine and fall in love with her friend's man. Linnet First off, this was really low for Linnet. Come on already. Men are surplus and in quanta. She could have been with the doctor or found another one, but she opted for her friend's man.  Why woul

Movie Review: The Adam Project

"Oh, that's funny. It farts when I laugh." I just can't.😂🤣🤣 Halo. Another movie review here. We'll be looking at The Adam Project. Movie Review A pilot goes back in time to search for his missing wife in so doing enlists the help of his younger self and his late father. From the first time I saw the trailer I knew I would laugh my ass out. Ryan Reynolds has decided to just feature in any movie he absolutely feels like. Storyline Let's start with the not-so spectacular part of this movie. The storyline wasn't excitingly crazy. It was there. Just there. Time travel with a blend of romance missions, messing with the timeline, embracing loss, and a happy beginning at the end. That pretty much sums it up. The good part is that it was grand. The action, the shooting, the comedy. Acts Ryan Reynolds was Ryan Reynolds and there's no changing him. The way he talks and laughs and just includes those ridiculous lines always has me in a g

Movie Review: Encanto

"Maybe your gift is being in denial." Ouch! That stung. Have you seen Encanto ? If yes, ride along and let's go through fun scenes. If you haven't, book a seat, enjoy the ride. Have you accidentally called it Enchanto instead of Encanto? No need to fret, I also had the same issue the first time I sww the trialer. Movie recap A family is blessed with supernatural powers with each child exhibiting a different power from the other. The magic surrounding the family falls into chaos and it's up to one member of the family to save them all. Madrigal! I've been humming her song for a while now. The tune and beat just stay with you. Plot Massive spoilers ahead. In the Madrigal family we have Abuela, and her three kids—Pepa, Julietta and Bruno and then we have her grandkids—Mirabel, Dolores, Isabella, Louisa, Camilo and Antonio. Pepa, Julietta and Bruno are blessed with weather influence, healing and vision respectively. Their kids Louisa, Isabella, Camilo,